From SCIENCE NEWS

DINOSAUR DOCUMENTARY A REAL-LIFE DETECTIVE STORY
from The San Francisco Chronicle

Los Angeles -- What is it about dinosaurs, anyway? Since "Jurassic
Park" in
1993, people just can't seem to get enough of them. Paleontologist Josh
Smith, who stars in A&E's new documentary "The Lost Dinosaurs of Egypt,"
offers a hypothesis.

"I think largely the attraction is they're really big, but they're dead so
they can't hurt us. You can go, 'Look at the big teeth on that
thing; isn't
that cool! But it can't kill me because it's dead.' We can still study
them, but at a safe distance."

With "Lost Dinosaurs," Smith and his colleagues at the University of
Pennsylvania got a chance to study the prehistoric creatures up close when
they visited the Egyptian desert in 1999 to try to find fresh evidence for
Spinosaurus, a finned dinosaur first uncovered in the Bahariya Oasis by
German scientist Ernst Stromer in 1916. Stromer's collection of
Spinosaurus
bones, stored in a Munich museum, was demolished in a 1944 Allied bombing
raid.
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?
file=/chronicle/archive/2002/09/29/PK24975.DTL>