Re: From SCIENCE NEWS

At 10:27 AM 10/1/2002, Garrison Hilliard wrote:

DINOSAUR DOCUMENTARY A REAL-LIFE DETECTIVE STORY
from The San Francisco Chronicle

Los Angeles -- What is it about dinosaurs, anyway? Since "Jurassic
Park" in 1993, people just can't seem to get enough of them. Paleontologist Josh
Smith, who stars in A&E's new documentary "The Lost Dinosaurs of Egypt,"
offers a hypothesis.

"I think largely the attraction is they're really big, but they're dead so
they can't hurt us. You can go, 'Look at the big teeth on that
thing; isn't that cool! But it can't kill me because it's dead.' We can still study
them, but at a safe distance."
AAAARRRRGGGGGGHHH. I want to know what principle of physics it is that dictates that whatever answer you give a reviewer to a silly question, even when it doesn't sound ALL that lame when you answer, looks really stupid when you see it in print. "But it can't kill me because it's dead." Ohhhh yeah, THAT's profound.

------ Josh Smith Assistant Professor of Geology Department of Earth & Planetary Sciences Washington University 1 Brookings Drive Campus Box 1169 108 Wilson Hall St. Louis, MO 63130-4899 Office: 314.935.7033 FAX: 314.935.7361 smithjb@levee.wustl.edu http://epsc.wustl.edu

Director, Bahariya Dinosaur Project
http://egyptdinos.org