SVP PREVIEW, TOLKIEN-BASED GALLIFORM

Last week (sorry for the delay), Matt Bonnan joked about
the fact that no one had mentioned his SVP abstract on the
DML. Tracy followed this with.....

------------------------
<sniff, sniff>, your not alone Matt. No one (not even Naish)
mentioned my poster either :( Of course it's not dinosaurian
(its on Tanystropheus) so I guess it's not the topic of the list.
------------------------

Don't know what you're talking about Tracy, Naish has not
posted any comments at all on SVP 2002 to any email
discussion group: I did however recently post a writeup of
the recent SVPCA meeting.

Moving on....

I normally don't post new refs on Eocene birds (mostly
because Gerald Mayr publishes so much it's futile to try and
keep up:)) but the following is out...

Dyke, G. J. & Gulas, B. E. 2002. The fossil galliform bird
_Paraortygoides_ from the Lower Eocene of the United
Kingdom. _American Museum Novitates_ 3360, 1-14.

.... and will be of special interest to some because the new
taxon named therein, _P. radagasti_, is yet another Tolkien-
based name to add to the list (Radagast the Brown is a
wizard from Tolkien 1954). On the palaeornithological side
of things, Dyke and Gulas agree with Mayr (2000) that
_Paraortygoides_ is a basal galliform and that megapodes
are more basal than phasianids + cracids. In reviewing other
purported Eocene galliforms, Dyke and Gulas report that
_Argillipes_ and _Percolinus_ lack all diagnostic galliform
characters, and that more material of _Coturnipes_
(described by Olson 1999 as an apparent galliform-falconid
mosaic) is needed.

--
Darren Naish
University of Portsmouth UK, PO1 3QL