Re:Scansoriality in Some Jehol Theropods

At 04:50 AM 04/10/02 +0000, Chris Collinson wrote:
Ok, pardon my ignorance, but what defines Scansoriality, and how does it differ from arborality?
Thanks.

Scansoriality refers to the ability to climb. It is quite possible to be arboreal without being scansorial (though it's tricky if you can't fly, unless you're an epiphytic plant). Think of the difference between, say, a flycatcher (which may be arboreal but not scansorial), your average woodpecker (which is both) and a bird like the Puna Flicker of the alpine zone of the Andes, which is scansorial but not arboreal (no trees!).

--
Ronald I. Orenstein Phone: (905) 820-7886
1825 Shady Creek Court