Superposeidon!

What, you say? A new sauropod? Wow ...

  nope. Typographical error ... and the first junior synonym for
*Sauroposeidon proteles* Wedel, Cifelli, & Sanders, 2001. This name comes
to us from an "old" book I saw on the discout tables today at B. Dalton
Booksellers (damn empty pockets...), but I was able to jot everything down
relevant to the publication.

  Brochu, C.A.; Long, J.; McHenry, C.; Scanlon, J.D.; & Willis, P. 2000.
Brett-Surman, M.K. (ed.) The Guide to Dinosaurs. (Fog City Press, San
Francisco) 256 pp. This is part of a series of "Guide to" books.

  The relevant pages with the name are 204 and 205, in text and as a
figure caption, relatively, and are illustrated by our own Luis Rey, and I
must say, at first I thought someone was ripping him off, both in style
and "design", as the animals seem to be "quickie" versions of those one
can find on his website. But they are beautiful, and my fave was little
Scippy.

  Alos on the shelves is a 2002 book, also not enough money for:

  Publications International, Inc. 2002. Encyclopedia of Dinosaurs.
(Publications International, Inc., Lincolnwood, IL) 264pp.

  No editor given. However, the book is richly illustrated, and is
gorgeously detailed, with pages on many dinosaurs, topics, sites,
countries. The illustrations are the thing, for the most part, with
probably 70% of the book comprising paintings, ink and pencil drawings,
and the skills primarily of Ely Kish (her *Massospondylus* on the Dunes is
one of my favorite "scene" paintings PERIOD, and I want that as a wall
piece), Brian Franczak (whose work is copiously included), Greg Paul
(lotsa skeletons, portraits, and a few paintings, I don't think any new
stuff was in there), Don Henderson (including a beautiful underwater
ichthyosaur/mosasaur scene I at first thought was Varner's until I saw the
signature ... I love both your work, guys!), and lots of never-before seen
skeletons drawn by Ken Carpenter, including the first skeleton I have seen
done for *Barapasaurus,* *Goyocephale,* and *Erlikosaurus* (the latter
also have *Enigmosaurus*' pelvis, a referral that I think, though
foundless, is very likely). Writing was contributed by a lot of people:
Brooks Britt, Ken Carpenter, Cathy Forster, Dave Gillette, Mark Norell,
George Olshevsky, Mike Parrish, and dave Weishampel; Peter Dodson
consulted the book itself. I gather they all handled the parts their
expertise called for, and George I think worked on the indexing (I had a
quick glance before I had to run, so i could nto check who did what, or to
find any "flaws".) But both these books I would recommend, and I need to
find the money to get the last most especially, being new and big (it's a
coffee-table book, gorgeous paper and vibrant color).

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden