PROTARCHAEOPTERYX RECTRICES

Re: _Protarchaeopteryx_. One thing that struck me about
the specimen when I saw it in person some months back
concerns the rectrices. In Paul Chamber's (2002) _Bones of
Contention: The Archaeopteryx Scandals_ differing views
are expressed by assorted workers as to whether or not these
are actually attached to the caudal verts.

It is clear from close examination that they unquestionably
_are_ attached. Unfortunately, a chunk of the slab's surface
(containing most of the base of the rectrices) has broken off
near to the attachment area, creating the illusion that the
feather cluster is floating in space, separated from the
caudal verts. In other words, what some people have
interpreted as the quill tips are plainly not so and the true
quill tips can be seen to be still attached to the verts.

--
Darren Naish
University of Portsmouth UK, PO1 3QL

email: darren.naish@port.ac.uk