Beaks and Teeth

I haven't been able to spend much time reading posts for awhile, so forgive
the lateness of the question.
In the very interesting article '"Weird" Bucktoothed Dino Found in China'
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2002/09/0917_020918_dinosaur.html
Peter Makovicky is quoted:
The pattern of tooth loss that led to the eventual development of a full
beak in later forms is different from patterns seen in birds, and suggests
there are more complex evolutionary scenarios for beak development than
previously thought, said Makovicky.
I can't understand this statement since the structure of the sentence
implies there's wide evidence of birds losing teeth.  My best guess is that
he's talking about differences among beaks rather than tooth loss patterns,
but that's only a guess.
Also, the article changes the subject immediately, so there's no mention of
any scenario, simple or complex.  Could someone give me an idea of the
competitors in the field?

And then there are a couple of statements that don't make sense, perhaps
because of typos:
"The ideas that there were only 500 species of dinosaurs spanning 150
million years. And most were small," said Currie. "In Liaoning, we're seeing
an explosion of fauna-they've found something like 30 species already and
all from the same time period. The shapes are a lot more bizarre than we
ever imagined, they're doing things differently-carnivores eating plants,
for instance-and most are small.
500 species and most were small?
and
The four-inch (100-millimeter) Incisivosaurus skull is longer and lower than
that of later oviraptorosaurs...
A 4 inch skull is unlikely to be much longer than too many other dinos'.

Thanks!