-oidea in Genus Names

Dear George et al.,

  The name I was trying to find is *Procaimanoidea* (Gilmore, 1946), an
alligatorine alligatorid [not a caimanine].

  And no, I do not think the name should be changed to support any ignoble
contention of sincerity in clade name rankings, without there being
ranking in the taxa themselves. Though I agree the system is aesthetically
pleasing and logical in that sense (as do George and Nick), I do not think
that in the age that taxon names are becoming concretely rooted that these
systematic names for inclusive clades will survive when they will shift
about, possibly destroying the "perfect" system. Including a clause of
flexibility in a system so that names can move is inherently the opposite
of what applying firm rules of definition and application if meant to
acheive, taxonomic stability in a shifting system. The name "Dinosauria"
should refer to _one_ clade or group, and only one, not potentially
twelve; variable relationships within "Dinosauria" will similarly not
dispose of the name for any group, sensu Kinman's argument that
"Dinosauria" is unstable if the arrangement of saurischians is upset in
anyway. Application of "pleasing" stems like -oidea and -idae have a
foundation in a language that should be followed, as did Gilmore, not the
idea that an ending should refer to some "type" of clade. It's just
another way of using "ranks," and is a loophole I think should best be
closed by permitting the author to coin and keep the name as applied; any
variation of the name upsets the author, and despite what Kinman did,
changing a name changes the authorship, it will not be *Procaiman*
Gilmore, it will be *Procaiman* whoever, or whatever the proposed change
would be.

  Rant over,

  Cheers,

=====