Re: -oidea in Genus Names

I wrote (regarding *Procaimanoidea*) and quoted by George:

<<Though I agree the system is aesthetically pleasing and logical in that
sense (as do George and Nick),...>>

and George Olshevsky (Dinogeorge@aol.com) wrote:

<The Code explicitly excludes generic names from family-level suffix
rules.>

That rule was applied after the name was coined. They should have thought
about that a long time ago. You cannot make a rule to change a name that
existed before the rule, and expect the name to conform. The Code is not
retroactive.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden