Re: Details on SVP 2002 Part 2

In a message dated 10/16/02 1:10:37 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
Mickey_Mortimer111@msn.com writes:

<< A phylogenetic analysis of 149 characters was performed, producing the
 following tree-
 |--Dryptosaurus
 `--+--Alabama taxon
    `--+--New Mexico taxon
       `--+--+--Gorgosaurus
          |  `--Albertosaurus
          `--+--Utah taxon
             `--+--+--Daspletosaurus
                |  `--MOR 590
                `--+--Tyrannosaurus bataar
                   `--Tyrannosaurus rex >>

My genericometer tells me that these new taxa are simply more species of
Albertosaurus, and may even be just individual variants of existing
Albertosaurus taxa. And there are so many gross differences between
Tyrannosaurus and Tarbosaurus that I just can't believe this analysis has
been done correctly. Look at the skulls in top view once in a while instead
of laterally! Count the teeth! And how did Dryptosaurus get in there? There's
not enough material known for Dryptosaurus to say anything significant about
it. How could anyone get 149 characters out of that junkpile? Cladistics, bah.