Re: -oidea in Genus Names (short!)

<May be a stupid question, but are you sure that this name didn't
originate as a typo for -oides? I've seen many -saurua. Look where A and S
are on a keyboard respectively typewriter... (not a French one where
they've exchanged A and Q).>

  -oidea is an appropriate stem for any name. I'm fairly certain the name
is not a mispelling, typographical error, editorial misprint, villianous
editorial misconduct, etc. As Orenstein noted, there is also a turtle name
that ends in -oidea, and I'm almost certain that the "superfamily" that
contains it also has this spelling. Nonetheless, it is presently
conventional (as in Cetiosauroides, Dendrorhynchoides) to use an -s at the
end. Maybe the history of nomenclatural suffices would be a nice study for
someone.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden