Confuciusornis's haircut

Another Confuciusornis question, this one about the type species.
Looking at fossils of C. sanctus, such as these
http://www.nhm-wien.ac.at/NHM/Geolog/Mesozoic/02.htm
I note that the bird's "hair" (the feathers on its head) only extend
down to just above the orbits, and no further (as opposed to, say, a
finch, whose feathers extend all the way down to the beak).  I also note
that HP Jaime Headden has restored his C. with a bald face (the new
Dinosauricon).  I thought the face might be artistic license, but with
fossils as good as C., absence of evidence may be evidence of absence
(of facial feathers, that is).  Or is this just an artifact of
preservation?

Dan