Re: -oidea in Genus Names (short!)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jaime A. Headden" <qilongia@yahoo.com>
Sent: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 6:22 PM
Subject: Re: -oidea in Genus Names (short!)

>   -oidea is an appropriate stem for any name.

Sure. I'm just not totally certain that *Procaimanoidea* is real.

> As Orenstein noted, there is also a turtle name
> that ends in -oidea,

Should have remembered *Emydoidea*, the sister group to *Emys* which escaped
to Europe. I assume that that a is real and is used because emys is
feminine. -- Currently I get DML e-mails without a particular order,

> and I'm almost certain that the "superfamily" that
> contains it also has this spelling.

That happens to be Testudinoidea. :-)
www.fmnh.helsinki.fi/users/haaramo/Metazoa/Deuterostoma/Chordata/Reptilia/Pa
rareptilia/Polycryptodira.htm

> Maybe the history of nomenclatural suffices
> would be a nice study for someone.

Sure!