Re: A couple of questions

Quoting Dino Rampage <dino_rampage@hotmail.com>:

> Yes, I'm finally back with a bunch of more questions to ask...
>
> 1) What's the difference between Citipati osmolskae & Oviraptor
> philoceratops? Seriously, to me they both look identical.

That's because all the pictures you've seen of "_Oviraptor philoceratops_" are
really specimens of _Citipati osmolskae_.  I'm not sure whether any real _O.
philoceratops_ are known besides the type specimen.  A restoration of the
holotype of _O._ by HP Marco Auditore can be seen here:

http://dinosauricon.com/images/oviraptor-ma.html

> And while we're at
> that, in what way does Khaan differ from Ingenia?

Off the top of my head, _K._ lacks _I._'s odd finger proportions (I longest,
then II, then III).

> Does anybody know what
> Nomingia's head looked like?

No.

> And is Rinchenia mongoliensis still valid or is
> it now Oviraptor mongoliensis??

The species was originally described as _O. mongoliensis_.  It has been
suggested that this species does not belong in _Oviraptor_, and the genus
name "Rinchenia" has been proposed in print, but "Rinchenia" has never been
scientifically described.

> 2) Just asking around here, how many of you think that Nanotyrannus is a
> valid taxon??? I just don't know whether I should consider it a full species
> or just a juvenile Tyrannosaurus.

The "consensus" (ha, ha) appears to be that _N._ represents a juvenile, most
likely _T. rex_.  The possibility remains that it could be a juvenile of some
other tyrannosaur (perhaps another species of _Tyrannosaurus_), though.

--Nick Pharris