Re: the SVP pterosaur talks - rather long reply

"Tracy L. Ford" wrote:

> Ok, this has not stopped paleontologists in the past from making opinions and
> using photographs and illustrations to make discussions.

Indeed. Isn't that the point of publishing descriptions, illustrations
and photographs in the first place? To allow other workers to study the
data without having to travel half way around the world in order to see
the specimens first-hand.

If we were never to trust photos or illustrations at all, then what's
the point of including them in publications?