RE: lions and tigers (no bears) oh my

>>Any information about whether one species preferred one habitat over
another in the zone of overlap?<<
Yes.  Read Edward O. Wilson's Biodiveristy (I'm pretty sure it's that
book).  Lions and tigers live in very different niches, lions in open
habitats (grasslands), tigers in closed ones (forests).  There are no
recorded instances of a lion-tiger crossbreed found in the wild (and the
Romans probably would have taken note if they had found such a beast).
I think one of the Steven Jay Gould essays talks about the same thing.

Dan
(of course, everything I said is AFAIK)