Re: Peering at review

----- Original Message -----
From: "Williams, Tim" <TiJaWi@agron.iastate.edu>
To: <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, October 22, 2002 1:49 PM
Subject: RE: Peering at review

> Dinogeorge wrote:
>
> > The existence of one species of finch is evidence for the existence of
> > dozens  of kinds of finches. Likewise, the existence of Archaeopteryx is
> > evidence for  the existence of dozens of species of archaeopterygids.>
>
> That logic doesn't stick.  The appearance of species does not always lead
> explosive speciation.  The latter depends upon a great many factors:
> availeble niches, available resources etc.  Darwin's finches were blessed
in
> this repect; not all novel species are so fortunate.

Adding to this further, paleontological *science* is based upon *real*
specimens and *real* data, not what might have been or should have been or
ought to have been. We can infer (and I would agree) that the fossil record
just isn't preserving every taxon. But, that's about all you can say. . .

Andy
Andrew A. Farke
South Dakota School of Mines and Technology, Box P301
501 E. St. Joseph St.
Rapid City, SD  57701

Phone: 605-394-2817

E-mail: andyfarke@hotmail.com