RE: Peering at review

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
Andrew A. Farke
Sent: Tuesday, October 22, 2002 1:23 PM
To: TiJaWi@agron.iastate.edu; dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Re: Peering at review

----- Original Message -----
From: "Williams, Tim" <TiJaWi@agron.iastate.edu>
To: <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, October 22, 2002 1:49 PM

> Dinogeorge wrote:
>
> > The existence of one species of finch is evidence for the existence of
> > dozens  of kinds of finches. Likewise, the existence of Archaeopteryx is
> > evidence for  the existence of dozens of species of archaeopterygids.>
>
> That logic doesn't stick.  The appearance of species does not always lead
> explosive speciation.  The latter depends upon a great many factors:
> availeble niches, available resources etc.  Darwin's finches were blessed
in
> this repect; not all novel species are so fortunate.

Adding to this further, paleontological *science* is based upon *real*
specimens and *real* data, not what might have been or should have been or
ought to have been.<<

Huh? What's this? ONLY *real* data? What about Heilmann? Chatterjee? Paul,
Olshevsky or Ford? Evolution for that matter. If it was completely based on
*real* data palaeontology would be at a loss. Please...

 >>We can infer (and I would agree) that the fossil record
just isn't preserving every taxon. But, that's about all you can say. . .<<

So, we only look at the fossils as they are, don't infer other things like
the evolution of feathers, the horns of ceratopians (if you saw Horners
talk), no telling how long the horns really were because they weren't
preserved. Just looking at the *real* data is limiting ourselves. After all,
doesn't the majority of palaeontologist/fossil nuts/dinosaur nuts like
science fiction? What I mean by this is that we do have an imagination and
we use that in our work and don't be just limited by the *real* data. Real
data doesn't prove everything; it's when we use our mind and imagination
that some new theories come to light.

Andy
Andrew A. Farke
South Dakota School of Mines and Technology, Box P301
501 E. St. Joseph St.
Rapid City, SD  57701

Tracy L. Ford
P. O. Box 1171