RE: Peering at review

Tracy Ford (dino.hunter@cox.net) wrote:

<The geological record is bias and the lack of fossil evidence is no
reason to ASSUME they weren't there. Negative evidence (as pointed out
before) works both ways.>

  Take Andy Heckert's word for it, maybe, if not mine: All we have is the
fossil record here. We can suggest a larger population, but cannot prove
it. That there atre plenty of forms today with limited diversity,
speciation, and geography suggests that the data does not favor many
species any more than it does single species. Just that we have fossils
_now_, and however many they are. In fact, the largest populations of any
fossils are beds of foraminifera, schooling ammonites and fish, flocks of
birds or assemblages of them, and the few odd taxa to which we have herds.
This tells us nothing about ancient diversity, only present preservation.
All estimates of fossil bias are estimates, and they like geological data
are constantly calibrated with new data.

<So, different animals, different diversities, different living habitats.
It's like apples and oranges.>

  Indeed, it's a warning to projections of either simple or complex
speciation numbers.

<Hasn't there been a study somewhere where they predicted the about of
fossils found to the amount of animals living at the time? The fossil
record is not a true gauge of the diversity of life, though too many
people do. The diversity and the population of animals IS (and I can not
stress this enough) much larger than the fossil record will EVER show and
it cannot be taken as a true gauge of fossil diversity.>

  Indeed. I agree with you here, and you agree with Heckert on this, it
seems. Correct me if I'm wrong.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden