Re: How Did Hadrosaurs Survive? (Was: Hadrosaur "mummy" questions)

>Hadrosaurs had keen senses which provided early warning of approaching
tyrannosaurs.<
Based on?

>It is also noteworthy that the longest or last surviving
 hadrosaurs, the edmontosaurs, had a relatively gracile build and the
longest legs to facilitate relatively fast escape. <
But yet earlier Cretaceous hadrosaurs managed to survive long enough to
produce ancestor species, and become fossilize in relative abundance as
well, and they had to contend with "faster" tyrannosaurs.
Look at HP Holtz's latest publication (available on PDF on his website), and
it talks about some paleobiological implications of large dinosaurian
predators (such as they would need a huge territory to prevent decimation of
the local fauna, may have preferred younger animals, etc.). Couple this with
the high reproductive rate of archosaurs in general, and the fact that they
likely didn't need to eat every day (I can't think of any large bodied land
predator that eats every day, but I could be wrong), and some hadrosaurs
being gregarious, I don't really see a problem with hadrosaurs surviving.
Warning! Speculative scenario below!!!:
If you figure a herd of 100 hadrosaurs (possibly a small number, based on
the Maiasaura bone bed, but let's keep it focused) in an area with 1
Tyrannosaurus, 2-3 ankylosaurs, and a small herd (20) of Triceratops. Add in
herbivore migration. Assuming the Tyrannosaurus eats once a week (and may
not always be successful in bringing down prey), you may lose one or two
hadrosaurs before the herd exists its territory. Plus, there are other prey
items around, and we do know Tyrannosaurus snacked on Triceratops as well.
Maybe its just me, but I don't see that big of a problem being able to
survive...I mean, we know they did manage to survive, I think understanding
exactly why we may require a greater understanding of the paleoecosystem,
for the hadrosaur fossils may not tell us what we need to know.
Done rambling.
Peace,
Rob

Student of Geology