Re: Peering at review (Triassic dino-birds)

<And Protoavis is what...?>

  That's just the problem. Bryan Small has said onlist that he, as the
collector, was quite certain the specimens are monochthonous, comprising
only one animal. However, the morphology of much of the material is of
unique and ambiguous nature, including the pterosaur-like "scapula" (if it
is such), a pelvis of peculiar processes and scarf joins unlike any
archosauriform pelvis _I've_ seen, and a skull and neck that are decidedly
identical to material of *Megalancosaurus*, not just the type but several
referred animals as well. Chaterjee's bird theory is falling apart as the
material comes under scrutiny, and the features it is said do not appear
or are questionable. Having seen photos of the "manus" bones, they appear
to exhibit a taphonomy of extreme twisting. Identifications of elements
appears sound in some parts, but questionable in others; some have
commented, even professionally and in print that the manus is like a
crurotarsan pes, and that the vertebrae are of an animal quite removed
from any avian relationship. The quest continues, but I was afraid this
animal would be brought up to support BCF ... Chatterjee beleives that the
animal is a well-nested non-pygostylian bird, at least as recently as
1999.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden