Re: How Did Hadrosaurs Survive? (Was: Hadrosaur "mummy" questions)

From: Dann Pigdon <dannj@alphalink.com.au>
To: DML <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Subject: Re: How Did Hadrosaurs Survive? (Was: Hadrosaur "mummy" questions)
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 07:01:38 +1100

Mike Taylor wrote:

> It's often bothered me that there seems to be
> an ecological imbalance in those late-Cretaceous days: how on earth
> did the hadrosaurs not _all_ get eaten by tyrannosaurs?  So far as we
> understand the morphology and its implications, the predators were
> faster, stronger and probably smarter than their prey: so what _could_
> a poor hadrosaur do once a tyrannosaur had decided to eat it?

Judging by skeletal structure alone, I'm guessing an adult hadrosaur
could outrun an adult tyrannosaur any day. "The King's" legs seem a bit
too gracile to carry them in a suspended phase for long, if at all.

Not according to Bakker and Paul, see PDW. Tyrannosaurs also had the advantage of more efficient avian-like respiration.

The
hind limbs of hadrosaurs were good and robust, just what you'd need for
running faster and possible longer than a big theropod.

I certainly agree they fled, but not faster or longer, especially not lambeosaurines.

Get faster connections -- switch to MSN Internet Access! http://resourcecenter.msn.com/access/plans/default.asp