Re: dinosaur behaviours

> 3) Penises. I guess the majority of male dinosaurs would have a pair of
> hemipenes, the system as in crocodiles. However, in birds the penis has been
> lost, and only a few species have a functional male copulatory organ. (In
> most birds, copulation involves a 'cloacal kiss')So is it okay to assume
> that while most dinosaurs had the crocodilian system of having 2 hemipenes,
> the more derived maniraptorans may have lost the penis altogether?

My understanding is that hemipenes are a lepidosaurian synaopomorphy, not
present in archosaurs. Male crocodylians and non-neoavian neornitheans (e.g.
ratites, tinamiforms, anseriforms, galliforms) have penes. Thus it would seem
most parsimonious to assume that all male non-neoavian archosauromorphs had a
penis, not hemipenes, and not just a cloaca.

Correct or refine this if it is wrong, please.

> 4) Sense of touch. Touch is an important sense in most mammals. Most
> dinosaurs, with their scaly skins, don't seem too suited to be very
> sensitive to tactile stimulation. But is it possible that touch may have
> played an important factor in activities like social contact, social
> grooming, mating rituals etc? And is it possible that many of the feathered
> dinosaurs may have had 'whiskers' or vibrassae around their muzzles?

Are these known in any modern-day dinosaurs?

=====
=====> Instant Messenger <Ric Blayze>
=====