Re: Tanystropheus neck posture

HP David Peters wrote:

> A good point, Silvio. In my opinion, the only way for this to work is by
> stealth. The neck goes up the tree, perhaps extremely slowly, perhaps
> angled out at some distance from the tree. If Tany stropheus sees
> something, it strikes like a cobra.

Do the cervicals permit this type of movement? When the cervicals are in
articulation the neck appears to be a very rigid element which allows for
little movement, while with a cobra lifestyle, you'll need a sort of quick
snap to get hold of the prey. Some other questions: when Tanystropheus was
raised upright, how high would it have been and what was the average hight
for the trees during the time of this genus? Important questions one must
consider when opting such a hypothesisi, if the trees are to high and the
total height of a bipedal Tanystropheus is to small, we all have to consider
an alternative. Not that there is an alternative at the moment though...

> If this scenario is correct,  Tanystropheus was not a high-energy
sprinter, like its smaller cousins,  the longisquamids, langobardisaurs, and
pterosaurs, but rather a
> slow-moving predator.

But to be honest, it is hard to see any animal with such an enormously
elongated neck sprinting... ;)

> Just imagine, after Tanystropheus swallows its prey whole, one might be
> able to watch the struggling victim sliding a dozen feet down the
> esophagus.

Cool!

Rutger Jansma

ps. sorry to everyone about replying your messages this late, but I am in
the middle of installing a new computer and not all adresses are copied, as
well as other info... Just to let you know.