a question for the tyrannosaur experts was: How Did Hadrosaurs Survive?

> >     BTW, My theory has just as much credibility as any one elses, seeing
> >that, once again, no one has seen
>
>    I don't think so; it seems far more likely that hadrosaurs fled, and
> fought only as a last resort. If hadrosaurs had regularly attempted to
stand
> their ground, weapons and or armor would have been selected for. Instead
> they evolved keen senses and longer legs, and "hooves".

Dear Tim and list,

    I think that perhaps I wasn't clear on all this. I definately agree that
duckbills first line of defense was probably flight. I think that flight is
the natural initial reaction for just about any living thing, including
humans, when threatened. I remember using that very defense mechanism
myself, in grade school, as I was being targeted for elimination by the
school neanderthaloids.
    My entire point in this whole debate is that I think that duckbills, in
general, where tougher then you give them credit for.

     I said that at least one type had large spikes across it's back and
tail. I think these spikes would have made it harder for a theropod to
bite down on a duckbill from above, into the spine.

>    It would have bitten into the upper thigh or flanks.

    Have you seen a tyrannosaurs launch this method of attack on a
regular basis? I'm not saying they didn't or wouldn't, I'm just stuck on
Your "It would have" as an absolute.

> >     >    By running away, but not (all hadrosaurs could escape a new
> >predator
> >with
> > > consummate senses and speed.

What "New" predator are you talking about? Are you saying that
tyrannosaurs were a newly indroduced species to the West,

>   Tyrannosaurus or its immediate ancestor appears absent in the lowlands
in
> the late Edmontonian period and probably evolved in the well inland
> environments, perhaps in response to Alamosaurus, as Starkov suggested.

    I thought daspletosaurus from the Judith River Formation was a
Tyrannosaur ancestor. And Again, I heard a lecture by Dan Chure in 1994
saying that The Dinosaur National Monument, in Northeast Utah, had
braincases And teeth of what appeared to be primitive tyrannosaurs from the
Morrison.These fossils have been attributed to Stokesosaurus.         Am I
mistaken on this? Haven't there been recent discoveries of more primative
tyrannosaurs such as eotyrannis (Sp.) as well?

    HEY! all you list Theropod experts. Can any of you be of assistance?

Thanks.

  Cliff Green