Re: How Did Hadrosaurs Survive? (Was: Hadrosaur "mummy" questions)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Williams, Tim" <TiJaWi@agron.iastate.edu>
To: "'Tim Donovan '" <msdonovan66@hotmail.com>
Cc: <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: Monday, October 28, 2002 1:22 PM
Subject: RE: How Did Hadrosaurs Survive? (Was: Hadrosaur "mummy" questions)

> Tim Donovan wrote:
>
> >  I don't think so; it seems far more likely that hadrosaurs fled, and
> > fought only as a last resort.
>
> That's bad news for hadrosaur babies sitting in the nest: "Sorry kids,
> you're on your own.  Gotta run!"
>
> > If hadrosaurs had regularly attempted to stand their ground, weapons
> > and or armor would have been selected for. Instead they evolved keen
> > senses and longer legs, and "hooves".
>
> I would hypothesize that large body size is a defense against predators.
> Don't forget that the adult body size of certain hadrosaurs (c. 15-16m)
> overlaps with certain contemporary adult titanosaurs.  That's pretty darn
> big, and what tyrannosaur would be foolish enough to tackle a herbivore at
> least as big at itself.  It only takes a broken ankle to disable a
> tyrannosaur and severely reduce its chances of success at its next attempt
> at predation.  _Tyrannosaurus rex_ is an impressive predator, but it
> certainly wasn't invincible.
>

> Tim

Dear Tim and List,

    Bless you for actually understanding what I was trying to say. I no
longer need to beat my head against the nearby wall, in frustration, as my
questions and comments are misinterpreted, sidestepped or ignored. BTW, I'm
still waiting for the answer to my stokesosaurus question. I will pout like
a little girl, ( yes I have a little girl ) intil it is answered.

Arms folded in the corner Cliff