Re: How Did Hadrosaurs Survive? (Was: Hadrosaur "mummy" questions)

From: Dann Pigdon <dannj@alphalink.com.au>

I'm all for tyrannosaurs moving quickly. But with a suspended phase?
Those long legs would seem capable of reasonably fast locomotion >without the need for a suspended phase. Of course YOUNG tyrannosaurs >didn't have quite as much inertia or momemtum to worry about. I like >the idea of sub-adults doing most of the active hunting, herding prey >into an ambush by the larger adults (as shown in "When Dinosaur Roamed >N.America").

I sort of liked that idea myself, until HP Brett Booth (or was it his wife?) brought up an interesting argument a couple of months ago. Unless chasing prey into the mounths of the larger adults was instinctive, how would the young'uns know how to do this if their parents weren't already fast enough to teach them? Many hunting behaviours are learned, and in this case, the adult tyrannosaurs would likely have to show their kids the proper technique. Am I making any sense? Where's Brett when you need him? :P
Oh, paleontology. So full of questions. So little money available to answer them...

Jordan Mallon

Vertebrate Paleontology & Paleoecology

Website: http://www.geocities.com/paleoportfolio/
AIM: jslice mallon