Re: How Did Hadrosaurs Survive? (Was: Hadrosaur "mummy" questions)

> That's pretty darn
> >big, and what tyrannosaur would be foolish enough to tackle a herbivore at
> >least as big at itself.
>
>   What hadrosaur would be foolish enough to fight a predator of comparable
> size without any obvious weapons?

Would this not be an if-needs-must scenario?

Meaning, if a hadrosaur found itself in a situation with no other
alternative than to confront and either attack or charge predator,
wouldn't it do this in preference to standing around and being
eaten.

(dubious bad mammal analogies comming up)

Sheep, for instance, are not particularly well defended, but under
treat wil either a) run away or b) (if needs must) bluff and pretend
that they can defend themselves while looking for an oppertunity to
rush past the threat. They're quite happy to storm past predators
larger than themselves.

Similarly for a cornered horse (which is arguably bigger, brighter and
better defened - but not that much). It's not usually trying to use its
hooves or teeth defensively, but more often trys for threat (rearing)
or charge at and past the treat (which is at least initially similar to
attacking).

Yes, these are both herding animals, and their primary defense is
based around spotting predators first, but at least some of the
time (nesting) this seems to be true for hadrosaurs too.

I can also think of a number of other animals (kangaroos, emus,
ostriches, skunks) that don't appear particularly well defended.
Until they need to defend themselves.

ramon.