Re: Mongolian locations

see:
Benton, M. 2000. Mongolian place names and stratigraphic terms.
Shuvalov, V.F. 2000. The Cretaceous stratigraphy and palaeobiogeography of
Mongolia.
Both appear in in The Age of Dinosaurs in Russia and Mongolia, Cambridge U.
Press.
and
Jerzykiewicz, T., and D. Russell. Late Cretaceous stratigraphy and vertebrates
of the Gobi Basin. Cretaceous Research 12:345-377.

Kenneth Carpenter, Ph.D.
Curator of Lower Vertebrate Paleontology &
Chief Preparator
Dept. of Earth Sciences
Denver Museum of Natural History
2001 Colorado Blvd.
Denver, CO 80205

Fax: (303)331-6492
email: KCarpenter@DMNS.org
Please be advised that this email and
your reply may be monitored by the
Denver Museum of Nature and Science.

>>> <gmbra@it.net.au> 29/Oct/02 >>>
After much perusing of atlases, gazeteers, Geonames, and various other
sources of data, I've become convinced that when discussing Mongolian
fossil sites, paleontologists must deliberately choose the name most
unlikely to reach the west in any other way <G>. Even allowing for
alternative spellings there are many sites that simply don't appear in any
of my sources. In the hope that some of my fellow list members can shed
some light on these sites, I'm posting this list. Ideally I'd like
latit/longit, but will settle for the nearest major city or landmark (I
want to put a dot on a map in the approximate region). This may not be of
much interest to the list in general, so perhaps replies should be made
off-list?
Thanks in advance for any help
Graeme Worth

Mongolian locations
Ingenia Khoboor, Nogon Tsav, Mong
Khurilt-Ulan-Bulak, Altai Mts, Mongolia
Red Mesa, Oshih basin, Mongolia
Gurilyn Tsav, Omnogov, S Gobi, Mongolia
Nogon Tsav, Bayakhongor, Mongolia
Alag teeg, Omnogov, Mongolia
Shilt Ula, Mongolia
Tugrigeen Shireh, Omnogov, Mongolia (just N of Bulgan)
Gil'bentu, Mongolia (NW of Daus)
Chouji Cliffs, Mongolia
Dzamyn Khond, Mongolia
Builasutuinh, Mongolia
Amtgai (? Amtgay), ? Dornogov, SE Mongolia
Khamryn-Us, Dornogov, Mongolia