Re: How Did Hadrosaurs Survive? (Was: Hadrosaur "mummy" questions)

Thanks for draggin me into this Jordan;)

on 10/28/02 11:03 PM, theclaw10@charter.net at theclaw10@charter.net wrote:

> I might counter this by saying that maybe the younger tyrannosaurs are just
> doing what comes naturally (chasing after prey) and it was instead the older
> adults that learned to take advantage of an ambush strategy in conjunction
> with the chase. The youths would then be able to learn the ambush aspects of
> the hunting strategy by observation and the adults would not need to teach
> the youths how to chase after prey, since that part would come naturally to
> them anyway....

Big hole in this, the juveniles need to know where the adults are going to
be to drive the prey to them. They would need to be able to read the prey
animals carefully in order to drive the prey into the waiting jaws of the
adults. Think of a Border Collie driving a sheep towards a gate. This type
of hunting is not instinctive, it is learned. If the adults don't do it,
where are the young going to learn it, even through observation? The adults
would have to run all over the place themselves in order to be in the right
place for the young'uns to drive the prey to, which is a huge waste of
energy. Then you have to consider, would a herd of hadrosaurs be afraid of
the sub adult T. rex? Maybe they would chase it off? Stand their ground?

To my knowledge in no modern pack hunters (Lions, Wolves, Hyenas, wild dogs,
Dingos, ect.) do the sub-adults start hunting until they have been properly
taught, through observation of hunting adults, and eventually active
participation. They need to learn stalking, chasing and capturing
techniques, plus they need to learn teamwork. Pack hunters of any kind must
work together and read each other carefully or you end up with a bunch of
animals running around randomly.

I see the more gracile T. rex (Male or Female) showing the young how to get
the prey to run in the right direction, how to herd the prey to where the
larger more robust T. rex is lying in wait. This is all speculation of
course but does evidence exist for this? Maybe. Don't some of the multiple
T. rex burials have a big robust one and a smaller more gracile one (Sue and
I believe the L.A specimen/ or was it another one, Rigby's?)

But if HP GSP is correct, the larger T. rex's were just as fast as the
smaller ones so the sub adults wouldn't really be needed for a hunt at all.

Just my opinion,

Brett
www.demonpuppy.com