Re: SUCHOMIMUS = BARYONYX

In a message dated 10/31/02 1:33:49 AM EST, qilongia@yahoo.com writes:

<< I think a lot of systematists have gotten too comfortable with the idea
that the genus, not the species, and contra dictated systematic "law," is the
basic taxonomic unit. >>

The genus >is< the basic >taxonomic< unit, at least as far as the ICZN is
concerned. The name of a genus is a singular noun; to name a species in the
genus, you modify the noun with a species epithet. To name a family
containing the genus, you derive the family name from the generic name.

The basic >phyletic< unit is, I think, a population.