Re: How Did Hadrosaurs Survive?

From: Sean Carroll <sean@kua.net>
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Re: How Did Hadrosaurs Survive?
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 16:58:19 +0000

"Williams, Tim" wrote:
> Tim Donovan wrote:
>
> > Euoplocephalus was adapted to the smaller Albertosaurus and failed to
> > survive alongside T. rex.

> I guess T. rex invented the electric drill. I can't see any other way that
> a tyrannosaur could bore through ankylosaur armor.

Me neither,

There is evidence that Tyrannosaurus could penetrate or cope with armor.

but I *can* see how the larger, stronger, faster T. rex
would have a slightly easier time than Albertosaurus if it tried to flip
the ankylosaurs over to expose their unarmoured bellies,

This is hardly plausible. Ankylosaurus evolved extra armor lacking in Euoplocephalus but it wasn't belly armor. Presumably tyrannosaurs attacked dorsal areas, causing extra armor to be selected for there. The only ankylosaur with known belly armor was Saichania, which lived in a tyrannosaur free but dromie infested habitat.

and also
probably an easier time not getting killed instantly by their tail
clubs.

-- --Sean http://www.livejournal.com/users/spclsd223/

Surf the Web without missing calls! Get MSN Broadband. http://resourcecenter.msn.com/access/plans/freeactivation.asp