RE: SUCHOMIMUS = BARYONYX

Bill Hunt wrote:
>I don't know about dinosaurs and other extinct animals, but in contempory
>zoology a species is defined by whether or not they can reproduce.  In
other
>words, if a female and a male can produce viable offspring, then they
belong
>to the same species.  If they can only produce sterile offspring; as in
>horse and donkey produce a mule, then they belong to the same genus, but
not
>the same species.  All other classification beyond that is pretty much
>arbitrary or artificial.  Kinda hard to put these definitions to the test
in
>Dinosaurs.  -  Bill

This definition is null and void when it comes to Snakes, and possibly
many other Reptiles and Amphibians.

For example, take a look at some of the Fertile Hybrids being produced
at this forum http://forum.kingsnake.com/hybrid/
If you scroll down the page far enough you will see photographic
evidence that proves fertile offspring from crossing different Genera!
Included are Pituophis x Elaphe crosses, Elaphe x Lampropeltis crosses,
Pituophis x Lampropeltis, and many other mind boggling examples of
second, third, and even fourth generation fertile crosses.

Such hybrids are extremely rare in the wild, but certainly could and most
likely do exist.

It is entirely possible Dinosaurs / early Reptiles could do the same.