Re: SUCHOMIMUS = BARYONYX (why bother?)

Nick Pharris (npharris@umich.edu) wrote:

<They were described as separate genera.  As long as the nomenclature is
compatible with the phylogeny, it makes fewer waves and causes less
confusion  to leave them as they are.>

  Perhaps to find compatibility between a taxonomic species and a
neontological one. However, this is the way I've been leaning: taxonomy
for any form involves a single taxon, which gets a descriptive bionomial:
noun with modifiying epithet; none of these words is a genus, or a
species, and drop the idea from vert. paleo.; solves a few problems. If
your form is unique, name it with both a noun and modifier, and
phylogenetics can play with it as it would. The Tenéré form has some
distinct qualities from the Isle of Wight form. My argument, however, was
to try to find a means of doing this "in the system" ... maybe we should
just abandon it :)

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden