Re: If not "Raptors," then what?

Ralph W. Miller III (ralph.miller@alumni.usc.edu) wrote:

<<Is there a name for sickle clawed dinosaurs that would include
_Sinornithosaurus_, _Deinonychus_, and _Velociraptor_, but exclude
troodontids?  Is "non-troodontid deinonychosaurs" the best we can do? And
would _Microraptor_ be part of this group?>>

Noel D. Hill (ndexohill@imageantics.com) wrote:

<I always thought it was dromaeosauridea, a family of the microorder
maniraptoria, infraorder tetanurae.>

  Er, I wonder if these are names that Kinman came up with (they sound
like his respellings...).

  No, this clade is not named, and Dromaeosauridae (note at the end where
the "a" and "e" are...) is currently used for a group that includes the
most recent common ancestor of *Dromaeosaurus albertensis* Matthew and
Brown, 1922 + *Deinonychus antirrhopus* Ostrom, 1969.

  Operationally, in recent cladograms, Xu et al. has used the term to
refer to a much broader clade that is in fact equivalent to a stem
opposing Troodontidae and birds: if its closer to *Velociraptor* than
anything else not like it, it's a dromaeosaurid. But one of these clades
would not be named in such a case, and it appears that both
Deinonychosaurian stems need names, or their included nodes. We will see.