RE: Tyrannosaur #1 pedal digit and hollow bones

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
Dino Guy Ralph
Sent: Sunday, September 01, 2002 9:18 AM
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Tyrannosaur #1 pedal digit and hollow bones

It seems that every mount of _Tyrannosaurus_ I have seen gives these
tyrannosaurids reversed #1 pedal phalanxes, so that the first toe (the
one off the ground) opposes the other three toes as in perching birds
(though off the ground, so there could not be a grasping function).  Is
this, in fact, how the phalanges articulate with the foot, or is it
impossible to tell?

Do other non-avian dinosaurs share this configuration?  I had assumed
that the tyrannosaur mounts were wrong, but if not I should like to find
this out.  If this is an error, it certainly is a common one (right up
there with absent furculae).

Question two: which of _T. rex_'s bones were hollow, and does this mean
that these bones were likely air filled in life, and connected to the
air sacs?

----------Ralph W. Miller III
                ralph.miller@alumni.usc.edu

Digit one was on the back side of MT II. Which way the claw faces is a
different question. Does it face the metatarsals or reversed as in birds or
did it face the opposite way? From what I've gathered it faces the opposite
way.

No, on the back side of MT there is a single 'groove' midway up the
metatarsal (Not the same in T. rex, there's two). I've been told that that
is a muscle attachment area. Ok, if so, then an animal that we know lacks MT
1 should have it also. I've looked at ornithomimid MT II and they all lack
the groove. So I'm thinking this is were MT 1 sat. Except in T. rex, which
has two grooves. Why I don't know.

Tracy L. Ford
P. O. Box 1171
Poway Ca  92074