RE: Tyrannosaur #1 pedal digit and hollow bones

Tracy Ford (dino.hunter@cox.net) wrote:

<[...] on the back side of MT there is a single 'groove' midway up the
metatarsal (Not the same in T. rex, there's two). I've been told that that
is a muscle attachment area. Ok, if so, then an animal that we know lacks
MT 1 should have it also. I've looked at ornithomimid MT II and they all
lack the groove. So I'm thinking this is were MT 1 sat. Except in T. rex,
which has two grooves. Why I don't know.>

  Possibly to indicate the medial surface of mtI or possibly because the
element could shift position, and change from one orientation to
another...

  Speaking of halluces:

  *Aucasaurus* has a very, very tiny hallux that is shorter (the digit)
than the first phalanx of the second digit. The metatarsal I is very short
with a curving shaft that looks as if it articulated on the side and was
almost vestigial.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden