RE: Tyrannosaur #1 pedal digit and hollow bones

-----Original Message-----
From: Jaime A. Headden [mailto:qilongia@yahoo.com]
Sent: Sunday, September 01, 2002 10:06 PM
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Cc: dino.hunter@cox.net
Subject: RE: Tyrannosaur #1 pedal digit and hollow bones

Tracy Ford (dino.hunter@cox.net) wrote:

<[...] on the back side of MT there is a single 'groove' midway up the
metatarsal (Not the same in T. rex, there's two). I've been told that that
is a muscle attachment area. Ok, if so, then an animal that we know lacks
MT 1 should have it also. I've looked at ornithomimid MT II and they all
lack the groove. So I'm thinking this is were MT 1 sat. Except in T. rex,
which has two grooves. Why I don't know.>

  Possibly to indicate the medial surface of mtI or possibly because the
element could shift position, and change from one orientation to
another...<<

Yes, I've thought of that, but I should have mentioned that the one 'groove'
is right above the other (or right below depending on if you're a pessimist
or optimist?)

Tracy L. Ford
P. O. Box 1171
Poway Ca  92074