Abelisauroid (was Tyrannosaur) #1 pedal digit

In a message dated Mon, 2 Sep 2002 12:06:24 AM Eastern Standard Time,
qilongia@yahoo.com writes:

>  *Aucasaurus* has a very, very tiny hallux that is shorter (the digit)
> than the first phalanx of the second digit. The metatarsal I is very short
> with a curving shaft that looks as if it articulated on the
> side and was
> almost vestigial.

Interesting.  Opens up the possibility that abelisauroids shared a (further)
reduced pedal digit I:  isn't the pes of _Aucasaurus_ the only well-known
abelisaurid example?  And isn't pedal digit I entirely missing in
_Velocisaurus_?

--Nick P.