Re: Pterosaur feathers?

<Not scales. Nobody's found >scales< on dinosaurs yet. Scales are only on
lepidosaurs.>

  Oh, please. Scales are well-described, for they weren't naked skinned.
As in crocodilians and some lacertilians (e.g., helodermatids, including
fossils ones), non-overlapping, tubercular scales are known from
impressions and partial carbonized remains in various taxa. "Dave", NGMC
91 has a scalation pattern on the pes that matches birds, and distinct
gene work shows that bird-foot scales turn to feathers without much
manipulation, and there are breeds with feathers here instead (ptarmigan,
various gallinaceous fowl). Just a matter of playing with the
developments.

  The keratins are essentially the same and produce only distinct internal
proteins. But you would be vary, very hard-pressed to identify an
impression genetically and at this point, the above statement from George
is simply unfounded, and essentially wrong in that crocodilians have
scales.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden