Re: Pterosaur feathers?

On Wednesday, September 4, 2002, at 04:11 AM, Dinogeorge@aol.com wrote:

john_conway@mac.com writes:

<< I'm waiting for a feathered sauropod! :-) >>

And what do you think the scutes of titanosaurs and the dorsal structures of
diplodocids developed from?

How about scutes? Why assume they evolved scutes>feathers>scutes, when all you need is scutes>scutes. I don't pretend to know anything scale/scute homology, but I see nothing so far that makes sauropod spines any more "feathers" than iguana spines, or croc scutes.

We need a clarification.

John Conway, Palaeoartist

"All art is quite useless." - Oscar Wilde

Systematic ramblings: http://homepage.mac.com/john_conway/phylogenetic/
Palaeoart: http://homepage.mac.com/john_conway/