More on Theropod Gastroliths

Hey,
During my previous posts on theropod gastroliths, I failed to mention another
taxon that apparently is associated with gastroliths.

At least a dozen small, polished, round to ellipsoidal stones were found within
the holotype skeleton of _Nqwebasaurus_.  They were found scattered around the
abdominal region, and most consist of fine-grained quartzite.  Since no other
small or polished pebbles were found near the specimen and none have been
reported from the rock unit (the Kirkwood Formation of South Africa), the
stones were interpreted as gastroliths.

This is another theropod (along with _Baryonyx_, _Poekilopleuron_,
_Lourinhanosaurus_, _Caudipteryx_, Koboyashi et al.'s ornithomimosaurs, and, of
course, extant birds) that possessed gastroliths.

Steve
---
Steve Brusatte-DINO LAND PALEONTOLOGY
SITE: http://www.geocities.com/stegob

Communicate with others using Lycos Mail for FREE!
http://mail.lycos.com