Re: Pronunciation Question

On Friday, September 6, 2002, at 01:08 AM, Rob Gay wrote:

I've heard that Archaeopteryx is actually not supposed to be pronounced with
the P, and that Compsognathus is supposed to have the Gn silent. Can anyone
confirm or deny this? Thanks in advance.

Pteryx = feather (TEH-ricks). Gnathus = jaw (NATH-us). So the letters are supposed to be silent. There was a discussion on the vert. paleo. list a couple of months ago about this, and it was (somewhat) agreed that since our pronunciation of greek/latin is so bad anyway, we should not worry too much about it. Unless, of course, it might result in serious miscommunication.

As most people pronounce the "P" in Archaeopteryx, and the "G" in Compsognathus, miscommunication is unlikely.

John Conway, Palaeoartist

"All art is quite useless." - Oscar Wilde

Systematic ramblings: http://homepage.mac.com/john_conway/
Palaeoart: http://homepage.mac.com/john_conway/_palaeoart.html