Re: Pronunciation Question

john_conway@mac.com writes:

<< As most people pronounce the "P" in Archaeopteryx, and the "G" in
 Compsognathus, miscommunication is unlikely. >>

Does anyone out there say "helicopter" without pronouncing the "p"? I imagine
it will make people look at you funny.

For that matter, the first time I heard "cephalopod" with a hard "c" I
wondered about that, but IIRC it's from the Greek "kephalos" (cognate with
Latin "capitus"), so it probably OUGHT to be pronounced with "kephalopod" but
I've never heard that from an American. A similar thing with the
"Keratopsians" isn't it? Anyone up for "Rhinokeros"? (Gk "keras" : Lt
"cornus").

(my apologies in advance for any bad transliteration)

Chip