Re: GLOBAL WILDFIRES 65 MILLION YEARS AGO

Patricia Kane-Vanni wrote:

> The latest Impact Info from NASA...
>
> ..."The fires were generated after debris ejected from the crater was lofted
> far above the Earth's atmosphere and then rained back down over a period of
> about four days. Like countless trillions of meteors, the debris heated the
> atmosphere and surface temperatures so intensely that ground vegetation
> spontaneously ignited."

How many modern instances have there been of fires being started by
meteorites? I'd have thought any hot debris slamming into the earth
would do so with enough force to either bury or smother the hot bits.
Surely such a firey rain would result in lost of little explosions or
craters, rather than lots of little fires?

Of course, if there was a lot of dust in the atmosphere, lightning
strikes may have been far more frequent than usual. Then again, would a
lot of dust particles in the atmosphere also encourage precipitation?