Re: GLOBAL WILDFIRES 65 MILLION YEARS AGO

On Fri, 06 Sep 2002 14:33:23
 James R. Cunningham wrote:
>There have been serious suggestions that both the Chicago fire and a
>simultaneous
>fire that severely damaged a town  a hundred miles or so west of Chicago were
>ignited by a meteor storm that occured that night.  I express no personal
>opinion
>re the validity of that hypothesis.  There is a also grazing impact site in
>Argentina dating to about 15,000 years ago that may have caused fires for a
>considerable distance downrange.

You're probably referring to the Peshtigo, Wisconsin, fire, which killed some
2,200 people near Green Bay.  It happaned on the very same date as the Great
Chicago Fire.  There is a nice book, _Firestorm at Peshtigo_ that chronicles
this fire.

It would be a strange coincidence that two very large fires happened in the
same day relatively close to each other.  All I know, though, is that the story
of Mrs. O'Leary's cow is greatly exaggerated!

Steve

---
Steve Brusatte-DINO LAND PALEONTOLOGY
SITE: http://www.geocities.com/stegob

Communicate with others using Lycos Mail for FREE!
http://mail.lycos.com