Re: GLOBAL WILDFIRES 65 MILLION YEARS AGO

At 2:33 PM -0700 9/6/02, James R. Cunningham wrote:
There have been serious suggestions that both the Chicago fire and a simultaneous
fire that severely damaged a town a hundred miles or so west of Chicago were
ignited by a meteor storm that occured that night. I express no personal opinion
re the validity of that hypothesis. There is a also grazing impact site in
Argentina dating to about 15,000 years ago that may have caused fires for a
considerable distance downrange.

A recent paper -- I'm sorry but I don't remember where -- cast doubt that the Argentine site was from a grazing impact. They believe it's an accumulation of loess that accumulated small meteorites over long periods. -- Jeff Hecht