Re: The best dinosaur museum in North America ?

> Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 08:17:42 +1200
> From: "Roger Smith" <jollyroger@wave.co.nz>
>
> "Hi, I would like to find the biggest and the best dinosaur museum
> in north America to take my 5 year old son to.....any
> ideas?...thanks,"
>
> As I don't live in the US or Canada, what museums would the list
> recommend?

No-one seems to have spoken up for the good ol' Natural History Museum
here in London, so I will.  From my two visits to the NMNH
(Smithsonian) in Washington D.C., I'd say that the quantity and
quality of mounts in London are at least the equal of what the NMNH
has to offer.  The dinosaurs are all in one section together, and the
other vert-paleo stuff is sprinkled around here and there: for
example, the marine reptiles are a (long) wall display in the main
corridor in the opposite wing to the dinosaurs.  So it takes a little
effort to track down everything you want to see.

Oh, and I believe the Cf. _Sinornithosaurus_ specimen is currently on
display (when is that critter going to get a better name?!) which is
pretty galling for me given that I spent much of yesterday afternoon
just around the corner in the Science Museum with my three sons.  (The
youngest is six days old, BTW., so he won't really have got the full
effect ... but hey, it's never too early to start learning!)

)_v__/\  "Obstfledermause!  Nehmen Sie sie, so lang sie noch heiss
         sind!  Sie sind lieblich" -- Andreas Pagel.