Re: Dinosaur Genera List update #192

I feel sorry for George being inaccurately characterized by Stephen in this
post, but felt the need to comment on one thing-
Stephan Pickering wrote-

> Further, cladistic analyses of Archaeovolans (plain
> text does not allow me to italicize the genus,
> alas)will, perhaps (if other, more complete specimens
> are located and described), allow a more precise
> positioning of it within Avifilopluma.

See http://www.cmnh.org/dinoarch/2001Apr/msg00444.html for my preliminary
description and analysis of the specimen, at the time unnamed, undescribed
and illustrated as a line drawing.  Since then, I have noted a marked
resemblence to Yanornis and Songlingornis.  Czerkas and Xu also noted a
strong resemblence to Yanornis, to the point of possible synonymy.  Adding
Yanornis to Norell and Clarke's (2001) matrix (
http://www.cmnh.org/dinoarch/2001Dec/msg00421.html ) places it as a
euornithine/ornithuromorph more derived than Vorona and Patagopteryx, but
less derived than Apsaravis and ornithurines.  Archaeovolans was therefore
probably a non-ornithurine euornithine/ornithuromorph as well.

Mickey Mortimer