Re: Illustrations as research tools

       In depicting marine reptiles, I've noticed an odd convention that one
should be alerted to when creating life restorations. In the skeletal
reconstructions, when the animal is shown in lateral view the paddles are
nearly always depicted in dorsal view. A notible exception to this is the
Cryptocleidus in Brown's "The English Upper Jurassic Plesiosauroidea"(1981).
Carroll reproduces it in _Vertebrate Paleontology and Evolution_(1988).  Here
the foreshortening of the paddles is remarkably well-done and makes for a
very dynamic and life-like image. I used it.
       Also, a while back there was some discussion about a hook-like
structure at the tip of Pteranodon's upper jaw. I've just discovered this
comes from a sketch by Manfred Reichel. The structure in the drawing was
accompanied by a "?", but was later adapted into illustrations by Reichel and
others without the "?". Another example of what Andy's talking about. DV